Practical demonstration to include:
- Tool preparation and safety
- Preparing the ground around the tree
- Crown lifting
- Pruning to shape----removing deadwood , watershoots , weak branches.
- Creating the vase shape or keeping the central leader.
- Crown reduction.
- Identifying common pests , diseases and deficiencies of fruit and nut trees.
2 examples of pruning that we will demonstrate:
- individual trees
- the apple arbor (close planted)
And a chance to discuss bigger issues:
- New approaches to growing fruit and nuts in the Blue Mountains
- Avoiding monocultures in orchard design
- Multipurpose design ie food production , wind and fire breaks plus artistic and creative aspects esp. in relation to hedges and arbors.
- Purpose of pruning and when to do it.